Monday, April 14, 2008

The Love Triangle

I've thought a lot about the Trinity lately. While I believe with my whole heart that when the Scripture says "I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me," (Isaiah 46:9 among others) that it means there is ONE God. We understand Him as one who reveals Himself to us in three Persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Kinda like I'm a mom, daughter, and wife. One me. Three representations.
I can see how others have difficulty reconciling some of the tough questions about the Trinity. I mean, the first whole-church committee meeting (that'd be the Council of Nicaea) lasted for an entire month just to make sure everybody was on the same page about the Trinity. And I agree whole-heartedly with their conclusion: God the Father and God the Son are of the same substance, co-existent, and co-eternal. They're ONE. Not merely one in purpose, but one in being.
Now, that leads me to my questions that I haven't resolved yet.
In praying for our Love. Loud. initiative, I'm reading the daily scriptures on our little tear-out sheet. Last Monday's included John 14:16-17:
And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you
forever - the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither
sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and
will be in you.

Why does Jesus have to ask the Father to give the Counselor? Couldn't He just as easily have said, "And you will have a Counselor...?" He was obviously confident in the result since he said he will give it. And why another Counselor? If Jesus and the Spirit are One, why another Counselor? Why not, "I'll be with you as the Counselor?"

But wait. I think the Spirit of Truth is opening my eyes a bit. Thinking of the whole of scripture (which is how all our beliefs should be arrived at - not merely personally pleasing verses, nor should our beliefs be discredited by unpleasing verses) Christ has always been our Mediator, our High Priest. He is the One who intercedes for us to the Father so it's perfectly understandable that He would ask for the Holy Spirit for us, knowing we would need the presence of a Counselor with us at all times, just as He Himself had been with the disciples as their Counselor (which, by the way, is one of the ways Jews defined "messiah"). Does that make them not one? Hmm...

In John Gill's Exposition of the Bible, he says there "is no inconsiderable proof of a trinity of persons in the Godhead." Take out that silly double negative and what he's saying is there is considerable proof of the Trinity. There's much more good stuff on that link, and my brain is hurting, and my kids are hungry. So that's enough for today. Need to turn this from a knowledge issue to a heart issue anyway. I'm interested in your thoughts on this. One way or another, the Spirit is with me and is in me. Cool. In and round. Comforting.

No comments: