Thursday, September 11, 2008

9.11.08

Dear Diary,

Ate breakfast.
Drove the kids to school. Talked about what happened 7 years ago today. Told them that every time they write the date today to pray for the kiddos who lost their parents.
Dropped Little Man off at Mother's Day Out.
Went to first piano and voice lesson. Nervous as all get out. Then Teacher said, "You're really good. Wow." Felt good to be good.
Just beginning with voice. Breathing exercises. Will be good for my posture and overall health, I betcha. So excited. Feel like I'm making Grandma proud using her money to make this one-of-these-days-I'm-gonna-do-this dream a reality. She loved music.
Saw the fire department's amazing 9/11 memorial with a NYFD suit and dozens of flags waving.
Lunch at Bread Co. Nice treat.
Picked up Matthew and we played Lego Star Wars on the computer for his mommy time. Gettin' pretty good at "using the force," although I've not reached Jedi status yet.
Picked up Jacob. Took the boys to Ashby's for ice cream. Superman Ice Cream uses a gallon of Red Dye #40, Yellow #5 and Blue #2. Obvious side effects remain on face, hands and clothes. But it is awesome (said with pointer fingers and thumbs raised to the sky).
Picked up older kids from school.
Saw flag at half mast.
Homework with kids. Oh, I so could homeschool again.
Leftovers for dinner. Thank goodness for leftovers.
Took Emilee to dance.
Practiced piano. Oh my goodness! I'm actually improvising! I can read chords. It took all of 15 minutes to figure that out. Whoo hooo!
Chris got home from PTA meeting. We must have very different views of what our kids "need" for their education. Park benches and $1,000 projectors for every classroom just don't jive with the fact that there are schools across the river that don't have books. Ticks me off.
Got boys ready for bed and had to run get the video camera to catch Matthew and Jacob singing Mark Roach's awesome Inside Out song. So glad to have caught that.
Picked Emilee up from dance.
She told me she forgot to pray for the kids today. She remembered the first time she wrote the date, and they had a moment of silence at school this morning. But she forgot after that.
So did I. Oh, I had reminders. But I just lived my life today. Not in fear. Not with anxiety. Not with an urgency to love my family. Have I really forgotten that horror? Am I truly grateful for this country and the fact that it has kept me safe these last 7 years?
Oh, let us live boldly. Let us live the life we are meant to live. Let us not waste years, days or moments. Let us never forget.

No comments: