Thursday, October 23, 2008

What I learned this week

Kindergarten field trips use up kindergarten teachers' patience.

Unsupervised children will always use an entire bottle of shampoo.

McD's cappuccino is gross.

American politics are fascinating and disgusting at the same time.

I'm not as good of a mom as I thought.

I'm not as bad of a mom as I thought.

Strep really is very contagious.

I'm not always brave enough to sing "Let the earth beneath me tremble, let the enemy pursue, I can face it all as long as I have You."

Flossing only the two weeks before a dentist appointment always reaps a "your teeth look wonderful" compliment from the hygienist.

Marriage retreats mean you can't retreat.

I really hate cleaning up pee.

No matter how important and jam-packed my schedule is, cuddling and reading with a sick child negates every other plan.

It's possible to cross my arms in church and not sing a word of a worship song because I feel hopeless - and still know that it's all going to be okay.

Participating in a Modern Dance class with teenagers is really intimidating.

Parenting is hard...and scary.

Being the leader of a mission team is requiring more faith than I ever imagined.

Although it's not all usable, my voice teacher says I have a 3 1/2 octave range. Are you kidding me????

Friendships grow deeper at The Bread Co.

My God is bigger.

I average a Wal Mart trip every 26.3 hours and spend an average of $57.83.

"You always have more breath than you think" has more to do with life than singing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And the fall parties use up the moms' patience...I've noticed that about McD's...walking with Him does require some pretty incredible bravery...LOL about the flossing! I'm sorry to admit that I've learned that fact as well!...hope you and your family are healthy or get that way real soon...you are a true believer...i wouldn't dare...i'll pray for you - regarding parenting AND the mission team...maybe we should meet at Bread Co. sometime...maybe next time you're running to Wal Mart! You are a blessing to me, my friend!

Anonymous said...

I was just playing catchup on reading your blog, and I have one question: When did I start emulating my daughter instead of her emulating me? You are so introspective. And with such a sense of humor!You make me think and reevaluate my own spiritual life--guess I will never stop learning. I would not want you to ever be any different than who and whose you are. You are so special to me and I know to many others who call you friend, sister, leader, mother and wife (and all your other titles). I love you very much and admire you as a woman, a friend and the mother you are. You are my blessing!

Jennifer said...

Lisa - The fall parties were just daunting chaos - but so much fun! And we definitely deserve some Bread Co. time. I think we could have some great conversation, my friend!
Anonymous (MOM!) - You're the best mom in the whole world and if I can just do half as good a job as you did, I'll be blessed. See you soon!