Saturday, November 15, 2008

Things We'd Never Do

We'd never walk for 4 hours to sit for 2 hours, miss lunch and maybe the doctor can help us, maybe he can't, then walk home 4 hours. Heck, we wouldn't drive 4 hours.


We'd never let our children accept a half-eaten sandwich offered by a stranger.


We'd never settle for a government that didn't know we existed, much less cared that our 4-wall home just fell down the side of the mountain in a rainstorm. No FEMA trailer or hotel allowance. Just neighbors with a tarp and nothing "temporary" about that shelter.


We'd never pray "give us this day our daily bread" and really mean it. With stocked pantries and spoiling produce in our fridges, we can't possibly know what it means to have what we need for only one day.



We'd never give the richest person we know a big portion of that daily food.



We'd never allow ourselves the joy and faith that comes from doing any of these things.


We're missing out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I would have been there with you!
I really can't express how glad I am God brought me to Morning Star, so I could meet you and our Bible Study friends!
This concept of not knowing how good we have it is also what motivates me to keep working out and eating better than I am accustomed too (meaning healthier) because there are people who can't even walk or eat without assistance and I want to glorify God by taking good care of what He has alotted me in life. I have a healthy body, healthy kids, warm home, and more than enough. Why worry? I wish I could get this everyday
Love,
Jaime v.

Cat eyez said...

Jaime and Jennifer, that is one of the many reasons I am wanting to move there. Everyday I look at the pictures and tears bellow in my eyes and then run down my rose colored cheeks remembering the joy love and happiness felt when we were there.